Tuesday, May 20, 2008

One of my favorite moments...

In class, earlier this semester, (Gallatin) we were talking about prohibiting homosexuality, and if someone could find a gene for it.
I said something I can't quite remember, but most likely to do with how sexuality is not a very scientific concept, or that technically everyone is bisexual (or why would people be so scared of gays?). Or I said something about sheer randomness, or pheromones....
Maybe I said all of that, really fast, so it confused anyone who even heard me.
Anyway.

It was just a really irritating, boring conversation.

Three minutes later, the conversation turned to 'coming out' in a homophobic community. AKA, telling people that you're gay, coming out of the closet, etc. And this girl said something about the necessity of finding one's identity as a gay or a lesbian.

I jut in, "Um, sexuality doesn't necessarily have to be related to identity. I mean... I agree with what you're saying, but... just wondering if non-homophobic communities should be perpetuating that myth..."

And she turns to me, and snaps, "Oh, it's easy for you to say, you've already done it and come to terms with yourself. But for people who yet to come out, it can be a very scary experience..."

Um... uh, wait- wha? ...I never... uh, what?...

I just didn't know what to say to that. What...what the fuck can I say? It's pretty amusing assumption, but I can't really correct it without sounding like a complete hypocrite.

I love how people do that.
Um, sort of.

Still, I'm always surprised when people in New York do that, though. Just kinda funny.



I just kinda blinked, a lot, and kept silent after that.

No comments: